Thursday, August 30, 2007

A little sentimental

We were in the elevator yesterday, taking our customary ride since Nolan refuses to exit the car until we have visited at *least* one other floor. Someone from another floor got on and asked if Nolan was three. And I started to say "no, he'll be two in a while." Then it hit me -- he turns two next week on the 5th. How is that possible? Where has the time gone? What happened to my little baby and where did this running, talking, shouting, singing little boy come from? (And by the way along with that, what happened to my nice sweet child and where did this temper-tantrum-throwing-crying-screaming child come from???)

It's just crazy. I came across this picture today that I took when he was a day old...
he's even still in the hospital crib with his little hat.
And just yesterday he was picking out his own shirt to wear and telling me what numbers he needed for his caterpillar puzzle. He has changed SO much over two years, I just can't believe it. Here are some things he can do now:
Count from 1-25, 1-10 in Spanish (up to 15 if you try)
Knows and recognizes all letters and numbers
Speaks in sentences -- like four and five word sentences.
Has figured out very basic math -- if he has two french toast sticks he needs one more to get to his third.
Can use the potty -- doesn't -- but knows how to
He knows the words to his favorite songs and a whole bunch of hand motions for others.
He can run, climb, go up and down stairs
Has conversations. Honest to god conversations with inflection and tone of voice. Granted they're not more than two or three lines but still, he follows and answers.

There are plenty of other things. Some time this weekend I want to make a list of everything he loved to do at this point. I didn't keep a pregnancy journal and his baby book has sat untouched basically since he was born, so I may as well make an effort to keep track of things during his childhood!

We leave tomorrow for CT for the weekend for his big birthday party. He is very excited to see all of the grandparents and aunts and uncles. He names them all just to hear us reassure him that they'll be there. :)

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Aw, what a smart, big boy! Happy Birthday Nolan!